Categories

April 12, 2021

My News on Point

Daily News Update From Top News Blog Around The World | Your News on The Go

West Brom contact police as Callum Robinson is subjected to vile racist abuse after win over Chelsea

3 min read


Callum Robinson received racist abuse on social media after West Brom’s victory over Chelsea (Picture: Getty)

West Brom have contacted West Midlands Police to make them aware of a string of sickening racist messages aimed at Callum Robinson following the side’s 5-2 win over Chelsea.

Robinson came off the substitutes’ bench to score twice in the Baggies’ victory, with Matheus Pereira also completing a brace and Mbaye Diagne scoring the visitors’ other goal at Stamford Bridge.

A number of high-profile players past and present – including Wilfried Zaha, Reece James, Fred, Ryan Sessegnon and Ian Wright – have shared vile racism they have been subjected to on their social media pages in recent months.

And Albion forward Robinson became the latest footballer to upload the shocking messages he received on Instagram in the wake of Saturday’s Premier League match.

Robinson shared the sickening abuse on his Instagram page

‘SMH (shaking my head),’ the Republic of Ireland international posted to his stories along with a screenshot showing a string of replies from Instagram user ‘mahamd200010’ which largely consisted of monkey emojis.

‘West Bromwich Albion has contacted West Midlands Police to report racist social media posts directed at Callum Robinson,’ the club tweeted.

‘We are appalled by the despicable messages and will offer Callum the help and support he may require in response to the incident.’

Social media bosses are under intense pressure to implement tougher measures to prevent individuals – who often hide behind anonymous profiles – from being able to send out abuse.

Iconic ex-Arsenal and France striker Thierry Henry announced last week that he would be quitting social media and said he would not return unless proper action was taken over racist abuse.

‘I will be removing myself from social media until the people in power are able to regulate their platforms with the same vigour and ferocity that they currently do when you infringe copyright,’ Henry told his followers.

‘The sheer volume of racism, bullying and resulting mental torture to individuals is too toxic to ignore. There HAS to be some accountability.

‘It is far too easy to create an account, use it to bully and harrass without consequence and still remain anonymous.

‘Until this changes, I will be disabling my accounts across all social platforms. I’m hoping this happens soon.’

Henry has deactivated his social media pages until racist abuse is properly dealt with (Picture: Getty)

Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport, Oliver Dowden, reacted to Henry’s powerful statement by underlining government’s determination to crack down on social media abuse.

‘No one should have to switch off social media because of abuse,’ he said.

‘Social media firms must do more to tackle this and we are introducing new laws to hold platforms to account. This is complex and we must get it right, but I’m absolutely determined to tackle racist abuse online.

‘No one should have to switch off social media because of abuse.

‘Social media firms must do more to tackle this and we are introducing new laws to hold platforms to account.

‘This is complex and we must get it right, but I’m absolutely determined to tackle racist abuse online.’


MORE : Thiago Silva breaks silence after red card in Chelsea’s defeat against West Brom


MORE : Kurt Zouma calls for quick Chelsea response after West Brom defeat





Source link

Facebook Comments Box

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *