Categories

March 4, 2021

My News on Point

Daily News Update From Top News Blog Around The World | Your News on The Go

Marseille defender Duje Caleta-Car speaks out on failed Liverpool transfer

2 min read

Marseille defender Duje Caleta-Car came close to joining Liverpool in January (Getty)

Marseille centre-back Duje Caleta-Car says he was honoured to receive an offer to join Liverpool in the January transfer window.

Jurgen Klopp was desperate to strengthen his defensive options in the last window due to long-term injuries to Virgil van Dijk and Joe Gomez.

Liverpool had come close to securing a deal for Caleta-Car in the closing stages of the window, and a flight had been arranged to transport the 24-year-old to England to finalise his move.

But Marseille pulled the plug on the deal as they were unable to sign a replacement, and Liverpool ended up signing Ben Davies from Preston North End and Ozan Kabak on loan from Schalke.

When asked about his failed move to Liverpool, Caleta-Car admits joining Klopp’s side would have been a ‘great step’ in his career.

‘Today, there’s the Champions League and I’m going to watch both games,’ Duje Caleta-Car said on Tuesday.

Duje Caleta-Car says Liverpool’s interest is an ‘honour’ (Getty)

‘I received an offer from Liverpool. It was an honour for me to know that such a club wanted me.

‘We decided that I would stay. Marseille are also a great club and I’ve still got a lot of progress to undergo here.

‘I was really very happy to get an offer from them. Liverpool is one of the biggest clubs in the world.

‘It could have been a great step in my career, but I’m happy at Marseille, who are also a great club, and we’ll see what happens.’

Follow Metro Sport across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

For more stories like this, check our sport page.




Source link

Facebook Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *