Categories

February 28, 2021

My News on Point

Daily News Update From Top News Blog Around The World | Your News on The Go

Marcos Alonso eyeing Chelsea contract extension after resurgence under Thomas Tuchel

3 min read

Alonso has come back into the fold under Tuchel (Picture: Getty Images)

Marcos Alonso is hoping to put pen to paper on a contract extension at Chelsea after his resurgence under Thomas Tuchel, according to reports.

The Spaniard was left out in the cold by former Blues manager Frank Lampard and hadn’t featured since September before Tuchel arrived at Stamford Bridge last month.

But Alonso has been a regular feature in the new boss’ side, starting in five of his first seven games in charge, and is thriving again in a left wing-back role.

Alonso (left) marked his return to the side against Burnley with a goal (Picture: Getty Images)

The 30-year-old’s current contract isn’t due to expire until 2023, but according to The Sun, he is hoping to extend his deal by another year.

The report states that Alonso was pondering over a potential transfer to another Premier League club or a switch back to Serie A until his predicament at Chelsea improved following Tuchel’s appointment.

Alonso’s good form is keeping Ben Chilwell out of the team but Tuchel has assured the club’s £50million summer signing that he remains in his plans.

‘If he [Chilwell] is [concerned], I can absolutely understand, because he got some difficult and very tight decisions go against him,’ Tuchel said last week.

‘We took the choice for Marcos in a game where we played with five [defenders] because he was more familiar with the position, he played under Antonio Conte and we opted for him for his strengths in the air, to defend and attack set pieces.

‘Marcos did a very good match and scored the decisive goal [against Burnley] and from there it was hard to come back. I had a talk with him before the Tottenham match and told him, “You have to trust me now, I see the potential, I see your talent”.

‘It’s possible that [Chilwell] thinks a lot about this situation, hopefully not too much because he can have trust in himself first of all, and he can trust us as staff that we will keep on pushing and we will find possibilities to reward him.

‘He showed a good performance in Sheffield which was very important for him and for the team, but sometimes it takes a little bit of time and there are hard decisions at the moment in clubs like Chelsea with a squad of 23 players.

‘It’s my job to not lose these players, and to help them not to lose their trust, and if he keeps on going he’s a fantastic guy and he has a lot of potential and we will find possibilities for him to be on the pitch.

‘At the same time, we wanted to have a start where we are fair to everybody and we don’t judge nobody by the amount of money that the club has spent, but to give everybody the feeling that this is a fresh start.

‘If Marcos is in the moment the guy who took a bit the advantage of this situation, yes, but this is not the end for Chilly’s development, for sure.’


MORE : Chelsea duo Hakim Ziyech and Timo Werner ‘still a few weeks away’ from finding lethal touch, says Joe Cole


MORE : Thomas Tuchel criticises Tammy Abraham and Callum Hudson-Odoi after Chelsea’s draw with Southampton

Follow Metro Sport across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram

For more stories like this, check our sport page




Source link

Facebook Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *