Premiere Urgence Internationale (PUI) is a non-governmental, non-profit, non-political and non-religious international aid organization. Our teams are committed to supporting civilians’ victims of marginalization and exclusion, or hit by natural disasters, wars and economic collapses, by answering their fundamental needs. Our aim is to provide emergency relief to uprooted people in order to help them recover their dignity and regain self-sufficiency.
PUI has been implementing humanitarian activities in Nigeria since April 2016, supporting population with food security, nutrition, health and protection project in Maiduguri and Borno State.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Midwife Assistant
Open to: Nigeria Nationals Only
Contract Start Date: ASAP
Contract duration: 3 months (with posssible extension)
- The PUI Nigerian Mission has been officially opened in April 2016, with a focus on meeting urgent needs, including improving access to food commodities, primary health care and nutrition for Internally Displaced People (IDP) and host communities (HC) living in Maiduguri Metropolitan Council (MMC).
- The progressive sectorial widening allowed PUI to start implementing an integrated approach from 2017 in food security, livelihoods, and nutrition and health sectors, with the support of ECHO, FFP, OFDA and CIAA/CDC, in line with PUI’s global strategy. From the launch of the health care services in February 2017 to the end of April 2018, a total of 119 913 OPD consultations were reached in Bolori II, while more than 60.000 beneficiaries have been reached by our cash project.
- In mid-2018, PUI has developed its comprehensive response by adding Protection and Community Outreach (PCO) activities to the existing programs in Bolori II. In the month of October 2018 only, more than 3.500 households have received door to door visit from the PCO team. In 2018, PUI has also scaled up its intervention with the opening of Monguno LGA base, with the main objectives of reducing morbidity and mortality of the most vulnerable population and promoting protection amongst the whole affected community. This opening in Monguno allowed PUI to reach the vulnerable population in Kukawa and Kroskawa LGA.
- Under the supervision of the Health Supervisor, the Midwife Assistant will assist the midwife in providing Maternal, Newborn and Child Health (MHCH) care and SRH care services, including Ante Natal Care (ANC), Post Natal Care (PNC), basic emergency obstetric and neonatal care and family planning.
- S / he will follow PUI obstetrical and sexual reproductive health protocols and universal standards to ensure the quality and continuity of care.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Prepare all the material and equipment and ensure that everything is ready before starting the activities
- Perform rapid evaluation of sick pregnant women, including vital signs (pulse, blood pressure, respiration); and concurrently finding out the history of present and past illnesses either from her or relatives
- Assist Midwife to perform antenatal consultations including screening tests according to the protocols, detect and mention all the risk factors
- Assist midwife to conduct delivery according to the protocols, precautions, hygiene standards
- Assist midwife to perform postnatal consultations during the 6 weeks following the delivery
- Observe changes in the condition of women in ANC, labor and report promptly to the midwife
- Assist midwife to perform family planning consultations and counseling according to protocol
- Give systematic prophylactic treatments to pregnant women
- Verify the tetanus vaccination of each pregnant woman
- Inform the midwife about the condition of a pregnant woman who may need quick intervention before referral to a higher level of care
- Assist the midwives in clinical areas with obstetric emergencies and referrals according to PUI protocols and regulation
- Assist the midwife to resuscitate a pregnant /postpartum women/newborn before transfer
- Follow initial assessment done by a midwife and continue care plan, undertake routine observation and report any abnormalities to the midwife
- Identify Sexually Gender-Based Violence victims and collaborate with the medical team for treatment
- When requested by the Midwife explain clearly the diagnosis and treatment to the patient and ensure that the patients comply with the treatment
- Assist midwives with admission and discharge of mothers and babies
- Support women with personal hygiene as required
- Monitor and measure fluid intake and output and record on the chart
- Take accurate vital signs and document on the chart and report concerns to the midwife
- Collect and label specimens as instructed by midwife and send to the laboratory
- Decontaminate instruments as per set standards, before sending to the sterilization unit
- Provide individual and group health education to patients concerning safe motherhood, care of the new born, IYCF (Infant and Young child feeding), Family Planning and general Sexual Health
- Actively participate in the good cohesion and coordination of the team
- Participate in the follow-up of waste management according to the waste management procedures
- Participate in any other activities such as vaccination, survey…according to the needs and as directed
- Maintain the working environment in a clean and presentable state
Medical Data Collection and Reporting:
- Record accurately and on a readable manner, the clinical case management, beneficiary information and intervention on health card (history taking, physical examination, treatment, investigation, etc.) and patient registration book
- Ensure an accurate daily use and tracking of epidemiological data
- Participate in the daily tracking of consumption of the drugs and materials used from the medical box
- Participate in the weekly medical statistic report in collaboration with SRH Supervisor and the deputy program manager
- Report to the supervisor any problem especially the gap/loss/robbery/damage of medical equipment or medicines or any patient and organizational issue
- Ensure a clear verbal and written hand over at every end of the shift, with emphasis on specific events
- Inform the direct supervisor of the various needs.
Internal and External Representation:
- Participate in any training in order to improve the quality and efficiency of nursing cares and duties
- Participate actively in meetings when required
N.B: The tasks and responsibilities defined in this job description are non-exhaustive and can evolve depending on the project’s needs.
Priorities of the Department:
- Assessment on beneficiaries at risk and diagnosed individuals with communicable and non-communicable diseases or other diseases of public health relevant and treat him
- Assessment on pregnant and lactating women, reproductive age women to identify risk factor
- Build the capacity of the community Health workers, nurses on thematic related to sexual and reproductive health
- Provide frequent feedback on health – illness patterns observed in the phcc that require further assessment
- Report to line manager periodically regarding context changes that affect the modality of intervention
- Language skills: Fluent in English and Hausa, knowledge in Kanuri is an asset
- Education degree: Recognized Midwifery Degree or Community Health Extension Worker (CHEW) qualified under the Nigerian health care legislation
- Work experience: Minimum of 1 year of experience in Midwifery or SRH especially in Maternity. Work experience with other NGO’s would be an asset
- Knowledge and skills:
- Technical knowledge about use of medical equipment
- Good knowledge about Ante Natal Consultation and Post Natal Consultation
- Good knowledge of Medical ethics
- Interests: Working in humanitarian relief
- Transversals skills:
- Excellent communication, conflict solving and diplomacy skills to manage relationship in potentially tense situations
- Strong motivation to help people in need
- Ability to make decisions and to exercise authority when required
- Understanding of the political situation in the area
- Ability to analyze and suggest improvements of the activities
- Ability to adapt or change priorities according to the changing situation within a mission or the organization itself
- Well organized and hard worker
- Team Spirit
- Able to manage stress and pressure
- Able to check validity of information, logical thinking
Application Closing Date
18th September, 2020.